The TikTok algorithm is a complex system designed to serve users content based on what it believes to be of high interest. The highly personalized TikTok algorithm that fuels the For You feed is what makes the app so addictive. According to TikTok, the For You Page’s algorithms are based on the preferences and activity history of individual users. So no two users will see the same videos on their For You page, and the videos you see might change over time based on your viewing preferences and even your current state of mind.
There are 3 main factors that influence TikTok recommendations.
- User interactions- such as video likes, shares, account follows, comments, videos flagged as “not interested”, creators you hide.
- Video information- runtime, sounds, stickers, and hashtags
- Device and account settings- TikTok also puts your device and account settings into consideration, although not to the same level as user activity and video information
One more factor that does influence the FYP is Subject Matter. TikTok is great at categorizing content based on user interests, so the subject matter is an important factor when it comes to reaching potential on the app. Each of the above factors is used by TikTok’s recommendation system to generate a completely unique For You Page.
Here a 7 tips on how to make the TikTok algorithm work for your business and brand in 2022
- Switch to a TikTok Pro account: TikTok offers two types of pro accounts, depending on whether you’re a creator or a business. Creator or Business account gives you access to metrics and insights that can help guide your TikTok strategy
- Create Shorter Videos: The algorithm rewards videos that are watched from start to finish, so aim to keep at least some of your videos short to increase your chances that users will complete them. 15-20 seconds is a good target to shoot for.
- Focus on a Subculture/Niche: As subject matter holds weight in the TikTok algorithm, it’s important that you consistently create content in a relevant niche. The more videos you create in your niche, the better your chances of showing up in the For You pages of the right users.
- Adapt your brand/ content to the latest trends: Following trends is a great way to increase your audience and get on the FYP.
- Make the First Few Seconds ( say within 3 seconds) Count:
- Use Popular Hashtags: Prioritize hashtag challenges that use trending effects for best results.
- Make Your Captions Relevant and Engaging: You can now add a caption of up to 300 characters, which gives you plenty of space to write a relevant and engaging caption that describes your video or adds context. Make sure you insert relevant keywords.
Lastly, remember that being consistent and building a strong presence is the most powerful way to “hack” the algorithm.
Want to learn more about how to make the best use of TikTok for your brand? Contact us today to ‘tok’ with an expert!